20 May 2021
Vacancy – Carnell – Site Manager – Area 6 & 8
Title – Site Manager – Area 6 & 8
Location – Bury St. Edmunds (or within a commutable distance)
As the Site Manager, you will take responsibility for the day to day running of site / project, working with the Contract Manager to ensure that all client timescales are met without exposing Carnell to risk. Therefore, you will need to work as part of a team and express excellent communication skills. You will take responsibility for the safety, quality and environmental elements of their work sites and the welfare of the employees therein. You will develop the employee resources allocated to the contract and ensure cooperation throughout the team is achieved.
We are seeking a Site Manager who is driven, hardworking, flexible, reliable, and most importantly can identify safe/unsafe working conditions. As a Site Manager, it is essential you can work both nights / days.
Limits of Authority
Safety: This role also carries authority to immediately stop any unsafe practices on-site until a safe alternative is established.
Employment: Direct employees up to Operative level when authorised by Operations Manager.
Sub-Contractors: Request of appointment of new sub-contractors only when the company procedures have been completed.
- Plan be responsible for and co-ordinate site works in accordance with the instructions of the client and their Contracts Manager. Keep the associated Site Works Plan(s) / Project Management Plan(s) Construction phase plans up to date
- Ensure all works under their control are carried out safely and that they do not pose a danger to the workers on site, sub-contractors, site visitors or members of the general public
- Organise and deliver associated inductions, pre-start briefings and ongoing toolbox talks, and be able to complete and submit the associated paperwork
- Manage and report on the performance to Contract Manager and QS
- Plan and programme site works in accordance with the instructions of the client and prepare the associated Site Works Plan(s) / Project Management Plan(s)
- Prepare RAMS and Site Files
- Put together Health & Safety Files
- Ensure As Built Drawings are update. Produce As Built Programmes
- Organise resources (labour, plant, materials, sub-contractors) on each site to complete the work to plan and programme
- Ensure that all plant & machinery provided for the works is suitable for the tasks being undertaken
- Ensure site related paperwork is completed and issued to the relevant department(s) on a weekly basis
- Responsibility for performance of Supervisors and Foremen under their control and to continually appraise and develop their skills
- Organise the delivery of associated pre-start briefings and ongoing toolbox talks, complete and submit the associated paperwork
- Coach and look after new starters, so that they become competent to work alongside a motorway or high-speed road
- Organise training of employees in the various skills required for execution of the works
- Ensure that only trained personnel are used for the activities being undertaken
- Liaise with clients and maintain good business relationships
- Ability to read and interpret site drawings and specifications.
- Manage all sub-contractors and site visitors and ensure their safety during works
- Check everyone working on site has the required level of competency to carry out their role
- Raise near misses and safety observations both positive and negative
- Ensure that all plant & machinery provided for the works is suitable and that it is in good working order and kept clean. In addition, they must ensure vehicles are kept clean and tidy on the inside
- Ensure all vehicle and plant checks are completed daily and before the vehicle / item of plant is used during that shift
Qualifications / Experience
- Site Management experience within a similar role
- Experience in the Highways / Civil industry (including drainage, earthworks, fencing etc)
- SSSTS or SMSTS essential
- CSCS Supervisor Card essential
- NRSWA preferable
- Ability to operative without supervision
- Capable of teaching and developing operatives
- Good commercial awareness
- Full clean driving licence