Principal Drainage Advisor / Team Leader
Work Locations: Birmingham
The Cube 199, Wharfside Street, Birmingham, B1 1RN
Employee Status: Regular
Salary (Pay Basis): 47,304.00
Maximum Salary: 65,280.00
Your new role
As the Drainage Team Leader you will have a great opportunity to apply both your leadership skills and drainage expertise, leading our team responsible for developing drainage policy, standards and best practice. An accomplished leader able to direct and motivate your team, you’ll play a key role supporting the development, renewal and maintenance of Highways England drainage assets, leading the technical advice to delivery colleagues and suppliers to ensure efficient, safe and best value maintenance solutions to meet the needs of our customers. This will require you to develop collaborative relationships with internal colleagues and external stakeholders, requiring occasional travel on a national basis.
What you’ll be leading on
- Provide direct leadership for a team of up to 6 drainage engineers as well as working closely with the Head of Technical Services, Strategy and Planning and wider Asset Management Division, collaborating in setting strategy and direction and ensuring delivery in line with the Business Plan.
Act as a source of drainage expertise; providing advice and guidance to Highways England delivery colleagues, suppliers and developers. This includes leading the development and continual review of drainage maintenance policy ensuring the effective communication of changes and developments within the team and to affected stakeholders.
- Own the development and maintenance of the drainage sections of the Design Manual for Roads & Bridges (DMRB) and the Manual of Contract Documents for Highway Works (MCHW) and the relevant chapters of the Network Maintenance Requirements. This includes working with Operations and Major Projects to assure work is carried out to required standards. Actively engage with these stakeholders to understand their business needs and identify key areas for improvement and share best practice.
- Supporting the development of the drainage operational (maintenance) and capital (renewals and improvements) maintenance programmes across the entire strategic road network. This involves working in partnership with regional Drainage Liaison Engineers and Flood Champions to review and assure all aspects of new and replacement highway drainage solutions. This also includes having overall responsibility for the Drainage Data Management System.
- Lead a technical consultancy and research portfolio for the drainage team within Highways England’s Innovation Programme – ensuring best value, alignment to corporate objectives and the effective management of consultants and budgets.
- Contributing to Highways England representation at technical committees, steering groups, seminars and workshops, ensuring that Highways England views are appropriately represented.
To be successful
- You will be a chartered engineer with a relevant engineering qualification (eg BEng, BSc, BA, HND/HNC Foundation Degree) and membership with a professional institute (eg IHE, CIWEM, ICE or CIHT), preferably focused in the civil engineering field
- Experience of working in drainage engineering and applying your knowledge to support the delivery of tasks:
- Understanding of drainage design and maintenance standards including practical application for the management of England’s Strategic Road Network.
- Understanding of hydrology (rainfall patterns) and flow hydraulics in gravitational systems.
- Understanding of drainage materials engineering demonstrated by experience in design, investigation, and research.
- Understanding of the principles of asset management and relevance in drainage management environment.
- Experience of developing, leading and motivating teams to deliver required objectives.
- Project management experience, including project development (business justification) and the management of external suppliers to agreed requirements (time, quality and budget).
- Experience of resolving technical problems, analysing information to develop appropriate
solutions to manage risks and issues.
- Strong networking and communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively and present results.
- A keen innovator who seeks to identify and promote new ideas for the benefit of our customers.
A bit about us
This is a great opportunity to lead our Drainage Team and play a key role in ensuring that this key asset meets the needs of road users across the entire strategic road network.
We’re a growing, influential team helping to drive the most ambitious roads investment programme our country has ever seen. You’ll have opportunities to lead new research and innovation as we develop drainage policy and standards, assure capital programmes and provide best technical practice advice. Building in every opportunity to ensure that our customers and road workers get home safe and well every day while travelling or working on our road network.
Want to know more?
Video interviews are expected to take place mid June 2020.
If you would like a copy of the job profile please email email@example.com
Why you should join us
At Highways England we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation
And finally we reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.
For further information or to apply for this job please click here.