15 May 2020
Work Locations: Birmingham
The Cube 199, Wharfside Street, Birmingham, B1 1RN
Employee Status: Regular
Salary (Pay Basis): 33,340.00
Maximum Salary: 36,674.00
Your new role
As a Drainage Engineer you will work in our small team of specialists providing technical advice and assurance for highways drainage infrastructure on the Strategic Road Network. The role involves opportunities to maintain and develop drainage policy, standards and best practice, as well as providing technical advice to those parts of the organisation responsible for delivery. You will develop collaborative relationships with internal colleagues and external stakeholders, requiring occasional travel on a national basis. You will not have any direct reports but will have the responsibility for your own tasks and will be supported by your Team Leader and Senior Drainage Engineers as you further develop your experience in this area. This will include opportunities to manage supplier resources and contracts, including tasks on our Research Programme.
What you’ll be leading on
- Contributing to the maintenance and update of the drainage sections of the Design Manual for Roads & Bridges (DMRB) and the Manual of Contract Documents for Highway Works (MCHW) and the relevant chapters of the Network Maintenance Requirements.
- Act as a source of drainage expertise; supporting our drainage management system and providing advice and guidance to Highways England delivery colleagues and suppliers. This includes working with Operations and Major Projects to help assure work is carried out to required standards. Actively engage with these stakeholders to understand their business needs and identify key areas for improvement and share best practice.
- Supporting the development of the drainage capital maintenance programme across the entire strategic road network. This involves working in partnership with regional Drainage Liaison Engineers and Flood Champions to review and assure all aspects of new and replacement highway drainage solutions.
- Contributing to Highways England representation at technical committees, steering groups, seminars and workshops, ensuring that Highways England views are appropriately represented.
- Develop business cases, project plans and supporting project documentation, inclusive of effective risk and issue management. Commission and manage consultancy support as appropriate, to ensure delivery of project objectives to time and cost.
To be successful
- Experience of working in drainage engineering and applying your knowledge to support the delivery of tasks.
- You will have a relevant engineering qualification (eg BEng, BSc, BA, HND/HNC Foundation Degree) preferably focused in the civil engineering field. Demonstrate evidence of professional development with a professional institute (eg IHE, CIWEM, ICE or CIHT) either chartered or with a plan in place to gain accreditation.
- Experience of resolving technical problems, analysing information to develop appropriate solutions to manage risks and issues.
- Evidence of managing stakeholder relationships to achieve desired outcomes.
- The ability to communicate effectively and present results, including excellent written skills with the ability to translate technical subject matter into clear and understandable formats.
- Experience of working in a programme and project environment to develop projects and manage their delivery to time, cost and quality requirements.
A bit about us
There’s never been a better time to join our Drainage Team.
We’re a growing, influential team helping to drive the most ambitious roads investment programme our country has ever seen. You’ll have opportunities to be involved with new research and innovation as we develop drainage policy and standards, assure capital programmes and provide best technical practice advice. Building in every opportunity to ensure that our customers and road workers get home safe and well every day while travelling or working on our road network.
Want to know more?
Video interviews are expected to take place mid June 2020.
If you would like a copy of the job profile please email email@example.com
Why you should join us
At Highways England we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation
And finally we reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.
For further information or to apply for this job please click here.