LGTAG 2022 Presidential Conference June 2022
Greening the Black
June 8 2022
LGTAG Silver Jubilee Conference tackles the practical issues of decarbonising our highways and public infrastructure.
LGTAG Silver Jubilee Conference tackles the practical issues of decarbonising our highways and public infrastructure. Gain insight into how we can across the industry increase nature, trees and habitat in our highways to support nature recovery, community wellbeing and carbon reduction.
Greening the Black will give you better understanding of what we can do to reach net zero without it costing the earth. Hear how we can put nature back into our streets and communities without taking on a maintenance burden. Explore the industry perspectives on Nature and Carbon reduction at a practical level. Discover the latest in low carbon and natural solutions.
Who should attend?
- Councillors and Members ― Get insight into how your Highways and Transportation Services can meet the carbon and nature recovery challenges. Hear about successful positive community involvement and engagement.
- LA Directors and Heads of Service ― Explore the practical solutions you can apply in your service delivery.
- Asset Managers and Engineers ― Hear success stories, innovative projects and applications that drive down carbon and increase green infrastructure.
- Suppliers and manufacturers ― understand what your Local Authority clients need and how to support them.
- Supply chain partners ― showcase your solutions and hear simple effective ways to support Nature Recovery in partnership with LAs
- Exhibitors ― Showcase your innovations in carbon reduction to help us Green the Black.
- Drainage and Flood Managers ― Understand how to better meet the resilience challenges.
June 8 2022 ↓
- 9:00Arrival, Registration, Refreshments and Networking
- 9:45Welcome - LGTAG President - Jon Munslow
- 10:00DfT Keynote - Department for Transport - Trudy Harrison MP
- 10:20Wild Ways - Highways for People and Nature - South Gloucestershire County Council - Matthew Lipton & Rowena Kenny
- 10:40 The Wider Local Authority Perspective - Oxfordshire County Council - Cllr Pete Sudbury
- 11:00Counting on Carbon - Ringway Infrastructure Services - Simon Dando
- 11:30Refreshments Networking and Exhibition
- 12:00LGTAG Boards - The Technical Perspectives of Green Infrastructure - LGTAG Board - Emily See & Scott Lester
- 12:30Maximising recycling in the highways maintenance sector – Micheldever Recycling Facility - Milestone Infrastructure - Edward Godsiffe
- 12.403 Principles of Project Highways Zero - Meon - Russell Smallridge
- 12:50Panel, Questions and Discussion - LGTAG Board - Sean Rooney & Mahmood Siddiqi
- 13:10Lunch, Networking and Exhibition
- 13:50Wellbeing in our Industry - LGTAG Wellbeing Survey Update - LGTAG - Emily See
- 14:10Supporting our Wellbeing - What we can do to help ourselves and our teams - Blue Monkey Coaching Limited - Sam Munslow
- 14:30No more mean streets - LDA Design - Sophie Thompson
- 14:50Refreshments, Exhibition and Networking
- 15:10Meeting the Resilience Challenges - HD Research - Hugh Deeming & John Lamb
- 15:30Greening the White - WJ Group - Paul Aldridge
- 15:40Carbon Reduction in Highway Maintenance - Stabilised Pavements - Andy Jones
- 15:50Highways for Wildlife – Strategy and Practice - Plantlife - Mark Schofield
- 16:00The DfT Perspective on Decarbonising Local Roads - Department for Transport - Matthew Eglinton
- 16:20Panel, Questions and Discussion - LGTAG Board - Amanda Richards & Mahmood Siddiqi
- 16:40Round Up and Close - LGTAG President - Jon Munslow
Matt is Head of Local Highways Maintenance, Innovation, and Resilience at the Department for Transport. Having joined the DfT in 2015, he is the lead on many policies concerning the local road network, ultimately focusing on and promoting effective highways asset management and resilience. In addition,…―⟶ More Info
As Assistant Director for Highways Maintenance at Cambridgeshire Highways I am Chair of the National Highways and Transportation Surveys Performance Management Framework. As well as being an active member of the Eastern Highways Alliance I am a member of the Charter Management Institute, Institute of Asset…―⟶ More Info
Cllr Pete Sudbury
Retired psychiatrist and Healthcare leader. Environmentalist and long-term student of the evolving catastrophe that is Climate Change. Green Party County Cllr for Wallingford Division since 2019. Cabinet Member for Climate Change and Environment since May 2021, working hand in glove with Lib Dem and Labour Cabinet…―⟶ More Info
Dr Hugh Deeming
Hugh Deeming is a research consultant whose professional interests focus on understanding ‘community resilience’ and how it can be applied to strengthen UK civil protection/resilience institutions. In 2015, his recognised expertise in these fields led to Hugh being commissioned to review Cumbria’s response to Storm Desmond…―⟶ More Info
Thirty Years leading people & projects across the Public Realm, Communities and Projects Large and small. Ten years in the aviation sector saw John lead Highways & Transportation at Heathrow and Stansted. He responded to the collapse of the Heathrow Express rail construction and at Stansted…―⟶ More Info
Sam is a transformational leadership and mental health coach at Blue Monkey Coaching, specialising in supporting engineers and tech companies with their employee wellbeing and engagement. Sam is passionate about work place wellbeing. With a background in school leadership, she has a solid understanding of juggling…―⟶ More Info
As Principal Strategic Consultant at Amey, Emily focuses on supporting customers to deliver asset management excellence in order to deliver an efficient and effective highway service. Emily is passionate about the highway sector and keen to support change in the industry with regards to digital transformation,…―⟶ More Info
I have worked across the West of England in environment, public health and community services for the last 18 years, and I am a passionate advocate for what can be achieved through cross sector collaboration. In my role as Green Infrastructure Strategy Manager for South Gloucestershire…―⟶ More Info
I have worked in the field of Nature Conservation for over 15 years, mainly on island-based nature reserves, my favourite being Flat Holm Island in the Bristol Channel. I have been at South Gloucestershire Council now for over 5 years working to protect and better manage…―⟶ More Info
Having spent 10 years developing a leading brand in Environmental Spill Control, I joined Meon Ltd in 2013 with an enthusiasm for improved road markings and repairs. Excellent results on the M5 Transforming Road Marking competition led to the launch of Project Highways Zero campaign in…―⟶ More Info
Sophie is a Landscape Architect and Head of Public Realm at LDA Design with twenty years' experience in the design and delivery of liveable streets, squares and green spaces. She is passionate about a people-first approach to placemaking. Sophie leads the £35m West End Project, one…―⟶ More Info
Amanda works for Surrey’s Highways and Transport Service as Assistant Director for Highways. She manages Network and Asset Management functions including strategy setting, network management, digital infrastructure, programme generation and delivery all of which have had an increased focus in recent years on carbon reduction and…―⟶ More Info
Simon Dando is Ringway’s Service Director for the new highways maintenance and improvement term partnering contract with Surrey County Council. This new contract builds on the partnering approach to support the Council’s objectives of a greener future, better social value which is enabled through delivering innovation.…―⟶ More Info
Mahmood Siddiqi's career in Transport and Highways spans four decades, the last ten years as Director of Streets and Regulatory services at the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. He was one of the first directors to be in a bi-borough role in charge of transport…―⟶ More Info
Sean is the Service Lead for Highway Maintenance at Oxfordshire County Council, having previously been employed as the Head of Highways and Transportation for a number of other councils. Sean is particularly passionate about bringing members of the highways sector together to share skills and knowledge…―⟶ More Info
Mark joined Plantlife International earlier this year as their Road Verge Advisor for the UK. He brings 13 years of experience from the Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust where he was involved in projects which undertook extensive surveys of roadside grassland habitat, designated over 150 roadside Local Wildlife…―⟶ More Info
Edward is Head of Sustainability at Milestone Infrastructure and having spent a career in engineering and construction has a passion for delivering environmental and sustainability improvements in the highways sector. He is the lead on delivering Milestone's ambitious environment strategy and Net Zero 2040 plan, involved…―⟶ More Info
Former Contracts Manager for a Commercial Paving & Hard Landscaping Contractor. Justin went on to work as a Construction & Project Manager on a number of varied construction projects for a framework provider at Stansted Airport before joining the SPL team in 2014. As Business Development…―⟶ More Info
I am a Chartered Engineer and a Fellow of the Institution of Civil Engineers and have over 30 years experience, working in local government, Transport for London and the private sector. I am currently Technical Director for Project Centre and specialise in traffic and transport engineering…―⟶ More Info
Paul has extensive experience in the highways industry having joined as an operative in 1982, preceding a successful career in operations as a senior manager and then Managing Director for WJ before moving into Sustainability. He has a passion for responsible business and the transformation businesses…―⟶ More Info