20 March 2020 | Case Study | BY: Blackpool Council
Highways networks are incredibly important to the prosperity of local areas and their populations. But maintenance backlogs and reducing budgets make it very difficult to prevent the further decline of them.
What the Road Asset Management System (RAMS) Framework offers is a programme of work to help manage highways assets more effectively, make the right investment decisions and proactively maintain the network, preventing the need for costly reconstruction.
Blackpool Council’s use of the RAMS Framework as part of its project 30 investment programme has led to it achieving significant short, medium and long-term benefits.
The methodology and technology at the heart of the RAMS Framework has been developed in close association with the Department of Transport. By adopting the Framework, your local authority will greatly benefit from pioneering highways asset management that will allow you to justify making major investment decisions to interrupt the cycle of decline affecting your local highways network. Following the process below and investing in the right places at the right time will bring your network up to a standard where it can be maintained in a proactive manner. As a result, you will be able to implement cost-effective treatments which prevent your roads and other assets from deteriorating to a critical condition which requires major, costly reconstruction. Already, after following this process, all LCRIG members now understand the current state of their entire highways network and footways, their rate of deterioration and the treatment options which will prolong the life of their highways in the most cost-effective way.
This information is helping them build robust business cases which are understood and supported by their financial colleagues.
A fresh approach to highways asset management that will significantly benefit present and future generations.
Comment from HMEP
The Blackpool RAMS Framework is a shining example of something that can help local authorities secure long-term investment and turn that capital into long-term savings.
Visit the RAMS Framework website, here.
- Official Journal of the European Union (OJEU) states all English and Welsh local authorities can call off the framework
- Adoption of the RAMS Framework provides access to the expertise and knowledge of LCRIG and partners from the academic and research and development sectors
- The state-of-the-art technology used by the RAMS Framework provides the most accurate road asset data available
- The RAMS Framework has been created with funding applications in mind, as it helps to clearly demonstrate the financial and social benefits of adopting it
- Millions of pounds in long-term savings
- Elimination of significant maintenance backlog
- Improved whole life management of highway assets
- Improvements in the quality, service levels and appearance of highways and footways
- Improved safety for the public
- Economic benefits for local businesses
- Significant reduction in compensation claims
- More efficient use of raw materials
- Reduction in long-term survey costs
- More effective management of projects
- Safeguarding of workforce and skills winning of prestigious national awards for highways asset management